Definition of polymerize in English:
Combine or cause to combine to form a polymer.
- Bacterial fermentation of carbohydrates produces lactic acid, and this in turn can be chemically polymerised to a high molecular weight PLA polyester.
- They are then treated with a reacting compound that causes the molecules to polymerize and change the color of hair.
- Glucose loses two water molecules and rearranges to form hydroxymethyl furfural, which polymerizes into brown pigments that add flavor and color to the candy.
- Example sentences
- This stabilizing effect has been observed in solid copolymers of methacrylate monomers with Rhodamine 6G analogs containing polymerizable groups in their structure.
- Other resins do have polymerizable components and dry by a combination of essential oil loss and polymerization.
- These data suggest that, similar to salt-induced polymerization, the filament assembly by S1 involves an initial ‘monomer activation’ step transforming G-actin into polymerizable species.
- Example sentences
- They could have been produced by the photodissociation and polymerisation of atmospheric molecules, such as carbon dioxide, methane and ammonia, through a combination of high temperature, ultraviolet light and bolts of lightning.
- In the free radical polymerization of ethylene to form polyethylene, a small amount of a peroxide is added to a large volume of ethylene.
- For example, polystyrene is the material that results from the polymerization of styrene monomers.
Pronunciation: /pəˌliməˈrīzəbəl, päləmə-/adjective
Pronunciation: /pəˌlimərəˈzāSHən, ˌpäləmərə-/noun
Definition of polymerize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India