Any of a group of polypeptide antibiotics that are active chiefly against Gram-negative bacteria.
- Polymyxins are obtained from soil bacteria of the genus Bacillus, in particular B. polymyxa
More example sentences
- If the area of affected skin is limited, mupirocin is an effective topical therapy; it was more effective than the other topical antibiotics studied (i.e., neomycin, bacitracin, polymyxin B, and gentamicin).
- Results of randomized studies assessing the efficacy of triple antibiotic ointment (e.g., polymyxin, bacitracin and neomycin) are indeterminate.
- The vaccine contains lyophilized calf lymph and traces of polymyxin B, streptomycin, tetracycline, and neomycin.
1940s: from modern Latin polymyxa, from Greek polu- 'much' + muxa 'slime' + -in1.
Definition of polymyxin in:
- The British & World English dictionary