Consisting of several terms.
- Plants and animals were given long, polynomial Latin names.
- The idea was that this trivial name would be easy to. remember and would trigger the memory of the plant's 'correct' polynomial name.
1An expression of more than two algebraic terms, especially the sum of several terms that contain different powers of the same variable(s).
- The papers look at algebraic curves, the Riemann Roch theorem and algebraic polynomials.
- But we would not be able to define the derivative using Paman's terms since we consider more complicated functions than the polynomials or power series which Paman considered.
- Hermite made important contributions to number theory and algebra, orthogonal polynomials, and elliptic functions.
Late 17th century: from poly- 'many', on the pattern of multinomial.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of polynomial in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.