Definition of polyploid in English:
1(Of a cell or nucleus) containing more than two homologous sets of chromosomes.
- Formation of polyploid nuclei as a consequence of failure of chromosome segregation in the presence of ICRF-193 was also reported in HeLa cells.
- Weak png mutations permit several transient S-M cycles to occur, producing embryos with a characteristic phenotype of multiple polyploid nuclei.
- As can be seen in Fig 4A and Fig B, the developing egg chambers in these ovarioles contain nurse cells with polyploid nuclei and a cell at the posterior that may correspond to the oocyte.
1.1(Of an organism or species) composed of polyploid cells.
- Selaginella, the largest heterosporous genus, has only a few polyploid species, although a large dysploid variation has been reported.
- Nevertheless, the frequency of polyploid species, at least amongst the endemic elements, would remain strikingly low.
- The number of mapped microsatellite DNA markers presently available can be used effectively, now, to understand the behavior of meiotic chromosomes in diploid and polyploid oysters.
nounBack to top
A polyploid organism, variety, or species.
- Different from bivalent polyploids, multivalent polyploids pair their chromosomes among more than two homologous copies at meiosis.
- The duplicated genetic material in the polyploids facilitates hybridization and introgression among different polyploid species leading to the production of recombinant genomes that barely can be formed at the diploid level.
- Attempts to introduce variability from wild diploid species into polyploids have taken several paths and have frequently met with difficulty.
- Example sentences
- Ring chromosomes, chromatid exchanges and polyploidies were also observed at some treatments.
- These include the early evolution of recombination, redundancy through polyploidy, division into chromosomes, and overlapping sequences as a means of reducing mutational targets.
- This article generalizes their approach to allow for arbitrary modes of inheritance, including diploidy, polyploidy, sex linkage, cytoplasmic inheritance, and genomic imprinting.
Definition of polyploid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.