noun (plural polypodies)
A widely distributed fern that has stout scaly creeping rhizomes and remains green during the winter, growing on trees, walls, and stones, especially in limestone areas.
- Genus Polypodium, family Polypodiaceae: several species, in particular the common polypody (P. vulgare)
More example sentences
- Others are maidenhair spleenwort, two kinds of polypody, and walking fern.
- Among the ferns are California polypody, maidenhair fern, and golden-back fern.
- Aquarius Research Natural Area is particularly rich in ferns, including Western polypody, spreading woodfern, oak fern, male fern, bracken fern, and sword fern.
Definition of polypody in:
- The British & World English dictionary