- A fruit consisting of a fleshy enlarged receptacle and a tough central core containing the seeds, e.g., an apple or pear.More example sentences
- In July 2002, we counted stems of each species in 40, 4 m × 4 m plots (20 plots in each area of the fen), and recorded the number of pomes on each fruiting stem.
- In our study, red chokeberry produced more pomes per fruiting stem than black chokeberry did, as well as more fruit across the entire fen.
- Its yellow/orange/apricot-coloured fruit (a pome, i.e. a fruit of the same type as the related apple or pear) is oval or pear shaped and up to 8 cm long, with large, hard seeds.
late Middle English: from Old French, based on Latin poma, plural of pomum 'apple'.
More definitions of pomeDefinition of pome in:
- The British & World English dictionary