Definition of pompano in English:
noun (plural pompanos)
1An edible butterfish that lives in shoals along the east coast of North America.
- Peprillus simillimus, family Stromateidae
- The so-called California pompano is a common Pacific harvest fish.
- Among these are the harvest fish (Peprilus alepidotus), an Atlantic species that usually grows to about 20 cm (8 inches) long; the Pacific pompano (Peprilus simillimus), a silvery Californian fish; and Pampus argenteus, a black-spotted, Oriental fish.
2 another term for jack1 (sense 11).
- Over the week they were rewarded by the sight of slumbering nurse sharks, moray eels, hawksbill turtles, stingrays, bounteous barracuda, big solitary midnight parrotfish and African pompano.
- The hull is almost entirely covered with cave coral and the ship is home to a 60 kg grouper, along with schools of trevallies, barracudas and African pompanos.
- One boat of women spent the day in the gulf rather than offshore and caught bonito, sierra mackerel, African pompano, yellow tails and, after an hour's fight, a stingray.
Late 18th century: from Spanish pámpano, perhaps from pámpana 'vine leaf', because of its shape.
Words that rhyme with pompanoHuguenot
Definition of pompano in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan