(in full pons Varolii /vərōlēˌī/)
noun (plural pontes /ˈpänˌtēz/)Anatomy
- The part of the brainstem that links the medulla oblongata and the thalamus.More example sentences
- This is a section (looking down) through the frontal and temporal lobes, the pons, and the cerebellum.
- The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.
- From above down these are the midbrain; a bridge-like structure, the pons; and the medulla oblongata, which merges below with the spinal cord.
late 17th century: from Latin, literally 'bridge', (in full) 'bridge of Varolius', named after C. Varoli (1543–75), Italian anatomist.
More definitions of ponsDefinition of pons in:
- The British & World English dictionary