- 1Used to convey the suddenness with which someone or something disappears: once you’ve used it, poof—it’s goneMore example sentences
- Sachi and I were still arguing about completely pointless things like what it means to fall head over heels in love, when all of the sudden, poof!
- It is said that when a neighbor accidentally killed Gotti's young son when he struck the poor kid with his car, that the neighbor subsequently disappeared, poof!
- Within half an hour, the persistent pain in my right hip joint just disappeared - poof! - and has yet to return.
- 2Used to express contemptuous dismissal: “Oh, poof!” said Will. “You say that every year.”More example sentences
- Oh poof - you're no fun anymore.
- Oh, poof! You do not understand a little soldierly enthusiasm.
early 19th century: symbolic.