- An institution where paupers were maintained with public funds.More example sentences
- And the reality was, that without some kind of financial support, the widow and the children would end up in the poorhouse, and that was the basis for the legislation.
- For example, what were these poorhouses like, why did these towns build poor houses, did the towns differentiate between poorhouses and workhouses, and why for the most part, were these institutions temporary?
- Pop regularly trumpeted the strains of British rule: evictions, poorhouses, famine.
More definitions of poorhouseDefinition of poorhouse in:
- The British & World English dictionary