- A plain-woven fabric, typically a lightweight cotton, with a corded surface.More example sentences
- This season it is complemented by soft and muted colours while fabrics range from denim or cotton poplin through to linen, which looks lovely teamed with this summer's cool knitwear.
- Fabrics such as twill, poplin, canvas, suede, denim and wool are also available in a variety of styles.
- Light and feminine fabrics such as satin crepe tulles and damasks combine with the fabrics found at work and in the masculine world - cottons, sail cloth, denim and poplin.
early 18th century: from obsolete French papeline, perhaps from Italian papalina (feminine) 'papal', referring to the town of Avignon (residence of popes in exile (1309–77), and site of papal property), where it was first made.
More definitions of poplinDefinition of poplin in:
- The British & World English dictionary