Definition of pornography in English:
Printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings.
- The denial of the social fact of sexuality in pornography is made explicit in its audience.
- This is not hardcore pornography and the material can be bought in many stores.
- There's always a tricky issue when you get into stolen material or pornography.
- Example sentences
- It's true, what Americans would call pornography, Japanese pornographers call ‘pink film.’
- The internet, headlines constantly warn us, is an unregulated haven of paedophiles and pornographers, hackers and hate-criminals, fraudsters and phishermen.
- From politicians to con artists, rapists to flesh peddling pornographers, we all have a certain visual reference point for the redolent and the reprobate.
Mid 19th century: from Greek pornographos 'writing about prostitutes', from pornē 'prostitute' + graphein 'write'.
Words that rhyme with pornographyautobiography, bibliography, biography, cardiography, cartography, chirography, choreography, chromatography, cinematography, cosmography, cryptography, demography, discography, filmography, geography, hagiography, historiography, hydrography, iconography, lexicography, lithography, oceanography, orthography, palaeography (US paleography), photography, radiography, reprography, stenography, topography, typography
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.