- Any of a class of pigments (including heme and chlorophyll) whose molecules contain a flat ring of four linked heterocyclic groups, sometimes with a central metal atom.More example sentences
- Changes in apoprotein and porphyrin fluorescence suggest two classes of bound porphyrins.
- It should also be noted that the doming deformation in the NSD context does not involve the iron, but only the 24 atoms of the porphyrin ring.
- These observations suggest that the generation of 102 by lipophilic porphyrins occurs within the bilayer, which is also the site of damage.
early 20th century: from Greek porphura 'purple' + -in1.
More definitions of porphyrinDefinition of porphyrin in:
- The British & World English dictionary