- Relating to or denoting a rock texture, typically found in volcanic rocks, containing distinct crystals or crystalline particles embedded in a fine-grained groundmass.More example sentences
- Coarser fractions additionally contain volcanic clasts of vesicular and porphyritic lava, tuff and pumice.
- These crystals eventually form the phenocrysts found in porphyritic rocks.
- The original porphyritic texture with plagioclase phenocrysts is still recognizable.
More definitions of porphyriticDefinition of porphyritic in:
- The British & World English dictionary