- A dish consisting of oatmeal or another meal or cereal boiled in water or milk.More example sentences
- Among the dishes made from barley, barley porridge is more delicate than oatmeal porridge, to the point of being rather insipid.
- For breakfast I'll have porridge with soya milk and fruit, sprinkled with some ground cinnamon.
- A restaurant serving dishes including snail porridge and smoked bacon and egg ice cream has been named the second best in the world.
- More example sentences
- The fear of running into one of these Cumbrian ale aficionados, supping on mysterious-smelling brews of porridgy so-called real ale amid background tones of chronic bronchitis, keeps many people away.
- And here they are, a connoisseur's collection of porridgy soundalike slowies that refute the idea that the Irish have a gift for ballads.
- He was back within five minutes with a bowl of strange porridgy looking stuff in a wooded bowl with a wooden spoon.
mid 16th century (denoting soup thickened with barley): alteration of pottage.
More definitions of porridgeDefinition of porridge in:
- The British & World English dictionary