Definition of porridge in English:
A dish consisting of oatmeal or another meal or cereal boiled in water or milk.
- Among the dishes made from barley, barley porridge is more delicate than oatmeal porridge, to the point of being rather insipid.
- For breakfast I'll have porridge with soya milk and fruit, sprinkled with some ground cinnamon.
- A restaurant serving dishes including snail porridge and smoked bacon and egg ice cream has been named the second best in the world.
mid 16th century (denoting soup thickened with barley): alteration of pottage.
- Example sentences
- The fear of running into one of these Cumbrian ale aficionados, supping on mysterious-smelling brews of porridgy so-called real ale amid background tones of chronic bronchitis, keeps many people away.
- And here they are, a connoisseur's collection of porridgy soundalike slowies that refute the idea that the Irish have a gift for ballads.
- He was back within five minutes with a bowl of strange porridgy looking stuff in a wooded bowl with a wooden spoon.
Definition of porridge in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan