Definition of portable in English:
1Able to be easily carried or moved, especially because of being a lighter and smaller version than usual: a portable television
More example sentences
- Mr McDowell said afterwards a simple mistake had caused the fire after a child carried a portable television into the kitchen and left it on top of a cooker where it began to smoulder before catching fire.
- A colleague had a tiny portable television with a black and white screen.
- Not to stop with a portable television, mini table fan, handgrips in steel chains, the rider shows his obsession for siren and mini cone speaker.
1.1 Computing (Of software) able to be transferred from one machine or system to another.
- The same factors that made hardware-centric database machines obsolete in favor of portable database software are now at play in the storage market.
- So I read this section wondering whether OS X apps were somehow portable to other OSes.
- System and method for controlling data transfer between multiple interconnected computer systems with a portable input device
nounBack to top
1A version of something, such as a small lightweight television or computer, that can be easily carried.
- Investigators found five portable stoves containing charcoal in the vehicle and its windows sealed with tape from the inside.
- The trouble is that they forget that people do not carry portable, battery-operated apartments around in their pockets.
- There will be no fans, the units will have to run cool enough for it to be comfortable to carry them around (think how people would have laughed if you'd predicted portables too hot to carry ten years ago).
1.1North American A small transportable building used as a classroom.
- Surely the Dems would have no further need for the single-story portables - modular buildings are just about the only answer the district has come up with for its overcrowding problems.
- Tracy groaned fearfully as she paces back and forth alone around the stairs going up to the B building and the portables.
- Former student and teacher Pat Paxton remembers many teens being late because they couldn't get from portables to their classrooms in the five minutes allotted.
- Example sentences
- It's a new concept: a small, handheld unit mimics a paperback book - sans pages, paper and portability.
- For them the answer has always been portability; you can access data on the bus, on the train, on the beach, pretty much anywhere.
- It's on the devices, the technology, the storage capacity, the portability, the more-more-more.
- Example sentences
- No longer do you go to the store, the library, the showroom, or even your place of work; they can come to you as the portably virtual.
- This ubiquity and open-source freedom lets you publish and share your documents portably and freely among platforms.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan