noun (plural porticoes or porticos)
- A structure consisting of a roof supported by columns at regular intervals, typically attached as a porch to a building.More example sentences
- Today one is greeted by the triangulated portico, supported on one column and aligned with the railway verandah columns.
- The entablature and pediment of the portico are supported by two pairs of massive Ionic columns.
- In structures at all levels of importance, gates, doors and doorways, together with porches and porticos, are usually much more elaborate than roofs, walls and windows.
early 17th century: from Italian, from Latin porticus 'porch'.
More definitions of porticoDefinition of portico in:
- The British & World English dictionary