Occurring or done after the event: a post hoc justification for the changes
More example sentences
- The results of my study were negative, and the journal reviewer insists that I perform a post hoc power calculation.
- The above news reports mislead many readers into interpreting correlation as cause; post hoc as propter hoc; speculation as facts.
- Thus, post hoc tests, such as linear contrasts, template correlations, and pairwise comparisons are used.
post hoc, ergo propter hoc
- After this, therefore resulting from it: used to indicate that a causal relationship has erroneously been assumed from a merely sequential one.Example sentences
- The fallacy of Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc occurs when something is assumed to be the cause of an event merely because it happened before that event.
- The relevant fallacy is post hoc ergo propter hoc.
- When I say that post hoc ergo propter hoc is my favorite fallacy, I mean two things: first, I am a nerd, and second, I love that this simple phrase diagnoses so many logical and scientific missteps.
Latin, literally 'after this'.
Words that rhyme with post hocad hoc, amok, Bangkok, baroque, belle époque, bloc, block, bock, brock, chock, chock-a-block, clock, doc, dock, floc, flock, frock, hock, hough, interlock, jock, knock, langue d'oc, lock, Locke, Médoc, mock, nock, o'clock, pock, roc, rock, schlock, shock, smock, sock, Spock, stock, wok, yapok
Definition of post hoc in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.