Definition of post-impressionism in English:
The work or style of a varied group of late 19th-century and early 20th-century artists including Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Cézanne. They reacted against the naturalism of the impressionists to explore color, line, and form, and the emotional response of the artist, a concern that led to the development of expressionism.
- The 120 works in this retrospective of the French modernist Vlaminck show the evolution of his art through post-Impressionism, Fauvism and Cubism to his later expressionistic landscapes.
- Every ambitious 19th-century show, especially in the area of Impessionism and post-Impressionism, has been obliged to borrow from this fabulous trove of avant-garde painting.
- Also, unlike Impressionism, post-Impressionism was not a unified movement.
post-impressionist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- In the first post-acquisition sale, the new owner sold 11 Impressionist and post-Impressionist paintings for $124 million.
- French-born Ingres had a major impact on Matisse, the post-Impressionists and early 20th century avant-garde artists.
- Khan's apartment was filled with valuable Impressionist and post-Impressionist art, as well as a fine collection of first editions of contemporary French and English novels.
- Example sentences
- My oil painting technique is the product of a variety of influences ranging from the post-impressionistic brush strokes of VanGogh to the unusual Surrealist images of Dali.
- The logical and analytic tends to the abstract and expressionistic, this is the opposite of the literary and symbolist (post-impressionistic).
Definition of post-impressionism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan