Definition of post office in English:
1The public department or corporation responsible for mail services and (in some countries) telecommunications.
- The strike is set to halt postal delivery and post office counter service in the London area.
- The council is exploring the option of having a community post office service provided within the village.
- Government still attempts this, with its ridiculous post office and public utility monopolies.
1.1A building where postal business is carried on.
- When choosing sites for new developments we still place great importance on having a post office and other public amenities nearby.
- I placed my name on a recent letter to the editor about the lousy service at the local post office and I am not sorry that I did.
- The jury heard that the robberies at the service station and the post office were committed within six hours of each other last April.
2US A game, played especially by children, in which imaginary letters are delivered in exchange for kisses.
- So how do you play Post Office? What are the rules?"
- I remember playing Post Office, but I don't remember exactly how it worked - it's funny, but I don't remember any of the boys I kissed, either.
- They met, played ‘post office’ on three dates, got married in 1970, and have been together ever since.
Definition of post office in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan