Definition of postglacial in English:
1Of or relating to the period since the last continental glaciation (the Wisconsin in North America), beginning with the sudden rise in temperature about 10,000 years ago. Compare with late-glacial.
- The widespread abundance of peatlands makes them valuable archives of past events for many periods in pre- and postglacial time and at differential spatial scales for most of Canada.
- Overburden soils include glacial and postglacial deposits and recent fill.
- He recognized that all of the beaches had been tilted by postglacial uplift (now attributed to isostatic rebound).
1.1 (as noun the postglacial) The postglacial period.
- At a very generalized level, paleoenvironmental records for the Prairies concur in showing a broad three-part division of the postglacial.
- Each of these trends has also been present for most if not all of the current postglacial.
Definition of postglacial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan