- A plant of a genus that includes the cinquefoils, especially (in gardening) a small shrub with bright yellow, red, orange, or pink flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Potentilla, family Rosaceae: many species
- Rugged shrubs like barberry and potentilla give the garden permanent structure, while the rocks help protect the plants from searing winds and keep the soil from drying out.
- The fragrance garden features plants whose scents come from their flowers or leaves, while the medicinal garden includes healing types such as purple coneflower, potentilla, and willow.
- There is also a big selection of azaleas and rhododendrons as well as other shrubs such as potentilla.
modern Latin, based on Latin potent- 'being powerful' (with reference to its herbal qualities) + the diminutive suffix -illa.
More definitions of potentillaDefinition of potentilla in:
- The British & World English dictionary