1A deep natural underground cavity formed by the erosion of rock, especially by the action of water.
- Bats spend the summer living in trees and buildings, and retreat to caves and potholes in winter, to hibernate.
- A prehistoric occupation site was discovered at the bottom of a hollow some 600 sq. m. in area, resulting from the collapse of an underground pothole.
- The second feature is a deep cave or pothole on Wet Rain Hill, just above Liz's Burn, called Bell Hollow.
1.1A deep circular hole in a riverbed formed by the erosion of the rock by the rotation of stones in an eddy.
- Some environmental activists yesterday inspect the Nuanjiang section of the Keelung River, where geologically unique potholes are to be found.
- They inhabit swift streams, the backwaters of large rivers, brackish lagoons, and potholes.
- Balanced on a log suspended over a glacial pothole, she is searching the foot-deep water for endangered howellia and their delicate white florets no bigger than her baby finger.
1.2A depression or hollow in a road surface caused by wear or subsidence.
- The 4x4 can much more easily deal with his potholes and appalling road surfaces.
- Tar is soluble in fossil fuels like diesel and petrol and oil spill loosens the road surface and potholes begin to form.
- Our roads are full of potholes and irregular surfacing.
1.3 (also pothole lake) North American A pond in a natural hollow in the ground.
- The rolling hills of northern Wisconsin's glacial kettle moraine are densely forested with hardwoods, birch and aspen and pitted with potholes and lakes.
- The valley is wet, the high benches are pocked with pothole lakes, springs, and ponds, and mastodons browse along a braided watercourse snaking across the bottomland at the foot of the cliff.
- The refuge's north unit contains the 8,700-acre Medicine Lake, eight smaller lakes, and numerous pothole wetlands.
- Example sentences
- Thankfully someone had the bright idea to water down the dusty potholed road between Laborie and Piaye.
- And as a result of all the growth, plush restaurants have popped up beside the potholed roads and property prices have shot up, especially for trendy condominiums.
- Miscarraiges, dislocated shoulders, broken bones, damaged axels there is enough reason for people to be concerned over the city's potholed roads.
Words that rhyme with potholeknothole
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of pothole in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.