Definition of potoo in English:
A nocturnal, insectivorous bird resembling a large nightjar. Found in tropical America, it mimics a dead branch when alarmed.
- Genus Nyctibius and family Nyctibiidae: five species, in particular the common potoo (N. griseus)
- That night trip also yielded a highland tinamou, two Virginia opossums and - after half an hour spent staring at a yellow eye in a distant tree - what turned out to be a potoo.
- A distant relative of the whippoorwill, the potoo feeds mainly at night, opening its short, curved bill very wide to sweep up flying insects.
- White-winged potoo, a large, very rare nocturnal bird; Iwokrama is one of the best places for spotting this species
Mid 19th century: from Jamaican Creole, from Twi, of imitative origin.
Definition of potoo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.