Definition of potoo in English:
A nocturnal, insectivorous bird resembling a large nightjar. Found in tropical America, it mimics a dead branch when alarmed.
- Genus Nyctibius and family Nyctibiidae: five species, in particular the common potoo (N. griseus)
- That night trip also yielded a highland tinamou, two Virginia opossums and - after half an hour spent staring at a yellow eye in a distant tree - what turned out to be a potoo.
- A distant relative of the whippoorwill, the potoo feeds mainly at night, opening its short, curved bill very wide to sweep up flying insects.
- White-winged potoo, a large, very rare nocturnal bird; Iwokrama is one of the best places for spotting this species
mid 19th century: from Jamaican Creole, from Twi, of imitative origin.
Definition of potoo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan