Soup or stew.
More example sentences
- Most meals would have been some form of stew, soup or pottage cooked in a cauldron over the central hearth of the house.
- So, Horace's simple dish would have been a vegetable stew or pottage, and it is most likely that the lagani added to it were small squares or strips of fried dough.
- The pottage would be thickened with oats, barley or bread.
sell something for a mess of pottage
- Sell something for a ridiculously small amount.[with biblical allusion to the story of Esau, who sold his birthright for some bread and pottage of lentils (Gen. 25:31)]More example sentences
- I have a sense we have sold our birthright for a mess of pottage, which has been the main benefit of unrestrained mass immigration of recent years.
- A spokesman for the Action Group, said: ‘It is selling the public inheritance for a mess of pottage.’
- Don't sell your birthright for a mess of pottage.
Definition of pottage in:
- The British & World English dictionary