1A small bag or other flexible receptacle, typically carried in a pocket or attached to a belt: a tobacco pouch webbing with pouches for stun grenades
More example sentences
- The cartridges are carried in a clip in bunches of five, and these are carried in small leather pouches attached to the belt, several in a pouch.
- Basic webbing ammunition belts and pouches were supplemented by as many bandoliers as the soldier could carry without falling down.
- Kneeling, he took some birdfeed out of a pouch attached to his belt and placed it on Jack's cheek.
1.1A lockable bag for mail or dispatches.
- A spokesman for Royal Mail said secure pouches were strategically positioned to give a better service of delivery.
- A postwoman watched in amazement as two teenagers snatched her Royal Mail pouch bag full of letters while it was attached to her bike.
- Royal Mail has applied for planning permission for pouch boxes, which are used to store additional delivery bags on heavy rounds.
2A pocketlike abdominal receptacle in which marsupials carry their young during lactation.
- The primary difference is that the young are not raised in a special pouch, as in marsupials.
- The functions of the brood, incubating and marsupial pouches should be further investigated in relation to their osmoprotective and perhaps also trophic roles for the embryos.
- Two situations are considered, internal development of the embryos in closed incubating, brood or marsupial pouches, and external development in eggs exposed to the external medium.
2.1Any of a number of animal receptacles similar to a pouch, such as those in the cheeks of rodents.
- I sucked all the spit from the pouches of my cheeks, making a nice squishy sound.
- He caught chipmunks whose cheek pouches were so stuffed with lodgepole pine seeds that not one more would fit.
- In the breeding season, Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches develop throat pouches that allow them to carry food back to their young at the nest.
- Example sentences
- The broad firm cheeks droop into a pouched flush as they sink downward into his draggled lace collar.
- Four resplendent Siberian chipmunks with their pouched cheeks and striped fur are wanted dead or alive after fleeing from an enclosure in southern England, a newspaper reported yesterday.
- This group includes all of the pouched animals, such as opossums, kangaroos, and Tasmanian devils.
- Example sentences
- The best thing about a return to high waistbands is that ladies who enjoy their lunch can smooth away their pouchy tummies by investing in a sensible pair of ‘control’ knickers.
- In my head, I was the gorgeous young thing running around with the aged pouchy bachelor, and it was the best relationship I'd ever been in.
- His plump, pouchy features are positively pink with pleasure and he's clapping his hands delightedly.
Words that rhyme with pouchavouch, couch, crouch, debouch, grouch, ouch, slouch, vouch
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.