- 1North American the sign (#), representing a pound as a unit of weight or mass, or as represented on a telephone keypad or computer keyboard.More example sentences
- I'm using the pound sign # to indicate interruption points.
- You can add your own comments in lines starting with two symbols: # (the pound sign and then a white space).
- If you don't know the extension of the party with whom you wish to speak, press eight for the company directory, then push the first three letters of the person's last name, followed by the pound sign.
- 2The sign (£), representing a British pound sterling.More example sentences
- It adopted the pound sign as its party symbol to emphasise its hostility to the euro, which is viewed by Washington as the only potential challenger to the supremacy of the dollar.
- Does a pound sign, followed by the numeral 1 and nine consecutive noughts give rational human beings the right to turn into irrational moaners?
- He spent six weeks in Brixton prison for drawing a pound sign on a £60m Rembrandt painting at the National Gallery, later admitting it was a step too far.
More definitions of pound signDefinition of pound sign in:
- The British & World English dictionary