- 1The state of being extremely poor: thousands of families are living in abject povertyMore example sentences
- The results suggest that providing day care may be insufficient as a strategy to reduce poverty.
- The new kind of poverty was in the process of acquiring a revolutionary quality.
- Looking at this village now, it is hard to imagine the poverty that existed here 100 years ago.
- 1.1The state of being inferior in quality or insufficient in amount: the poverty of her imaginationMore example sentences
- It shows a complete poverty of imagination and a vast amount of callousness.
- She is up against poverty of imagination, prudishness, bigotry and ladies locked into pain.
- The appointment is not a disaster, though it shows a poverty of imagination.
Middle English: from Old French poverte, from Latin paupertas, from pauper 'poor'.