- Any of a group of large DNA viruses that cause smallpox and similar infectious diseases in vertebrates.More example sentences
- The vaccine is freeze-dried, live vaccinia virus, a poxvirus related to smallpox virus.
- Bacteriophage is a tailed, double-stranded DNA virus that serves as an important model for assembly of large DNA viruses such as herpes and poxviruses.
- Like all viruses, poxviruses co-opt various cellular molecules and processes to enter a cell, replicate and then spread to uninfected cells.
More definitions of poxvirusDefinition of poxvirus in:
- The British & World English dictionary