Definition of prawn in English:
- Leander and other genera, class Malacostraca
- These included king crab, Phuket lobster, oysters, river prawns and yabbies.
- I get confused between giant prawns, crayfish and langoustine, but these were gigantic.
- I was drawn to the king prawn trilussa - prawns in a white wine and rosemary sauce served on a large bed of rice.
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.
raw from Old English:
This Old English word shares an ancient root with Greek kreas ‘raw flesh’. In Australian English a stupid person can be referred to as a prawn (ME of unknown origin), and to come the raw prawn is to attempt to deceive someone, presumably by pretending that you are too simple to cheat.
Words that rhyme with prawnadorn, born, borne, bourn, Braun, brawn, corn, dawn, drawn, faun, fawn, forborne, forewarn, forlorn, freeborn, lawn, lorn, morn, mourn, newborn, Norn, outworn, pawn, Quorn, sawn, scorn, Sean, shorn, spawn, suborn, sworn, thorn, thrawn, torn, Vaughan, warn, withdrawn, worn, yawn
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.