1(Of an action or event) characterized by or expressive of prayer: prayerful self-examination
More example sentences
- Was her artwork something of an expression of her prayerful life, or contemplative life?
- It was in that prayerful atmosphere, as he pondered the greatness of the Lord and fixed his mind on God's love, that this writer felt as if he were being drawn into the inner chamber of the Lord.
- But if children become accustomed to washing one another's feet, a prayerful atmosphere in a family or church school setting would not be foreign to them.
1.1(Of a person) given to praying; devout.
- He said: ‘Pope John Paul II was a leader of manifest holiness and a faithful and prayerful friend of the Anglican Church.’
- The quiet testimony of humble, honest, prayerful believers can be enormously effective.
- A prayerful woman from her youth, she imagined a life free of family obligations and devoted to the Church.
- Example sentences
- Certainly the preacher will spend time prayerfully remembering the departed saints of the congregation, particularly those who died in the last year, and the saints that shaped the preacher's own faith and life.
- Fasting, when it is done prayerfully and reflectively, can intensify one's focus on God and sharpen one's awareness of the needs of the poor and hungry.
- For our part, all we have to do is sit down and read Scripture prayerfully.
- Example sentences
- In the present study ‘impact’ refers to the influence that the parish has on one's prayerfulness, relationship with the deity, ability to make moral decisions, and personal involvement in social justice concerns.
- Dad would tut-tut and Mum would make me go and kneel next to her so that I couldn't make him laugh, but there was something about the praying together and the quietness and the prayerfulness that touched even my little rebellious soul.
- It was very important to me that we meet in a context of prayerfulness, and the kind of amplitude that a monastic environment supplies.
Definition of prayerful in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.