1Relating to or denoting a stage preceding a clinical stage, in particular.
- It also represents a new era of medical treatment ‘in which the integration between preclinical researchers and clinical oncologists is seamless,’ Giles says.
- Early clinical studies support preclinical findings and show that the drug is well tolerated overall.
- Surrogate markers can either be preclinical or clinical.
1.1Relating to or denoting the first, chiefly theoretical, stage of a medical education: preclinical students
More example sentences
- Medical students with high preclinical and clinical grade point averages were, surprisingly, more likely to express an external orientation.
- Between 1991 and 1995, some students were sent for preclinical training in Australia and South Africa as well as Britain.
- Today, gross anatomy is taught in a preclinical dissection course for second year medical students.
1.2Relating to or denoting the stage in a disease prior to the appearance of symptoms that make a diagnosis possible.
- Improved understanding of this illness during the slow progression from preclinical to moderate disease would aid the development of strategies for primary and secondary prevention.
- Diseases with long preclinical phases are more likely to be detected by screening.
- Mercury is neurotoxic, and even in people with low level chronic exposure, subtle preclinical effects on symptoms, mood, motor function, and cognition have been identified.
1.3Relating to or denoting the stage of drug testing that precedes the clinical stage.
- A number of such vectors are currently being developed and tested in preclinical and early phase clinical trials.
- Several drugs are currently under preclinical and early phase clinical study.
- The efficacy and safety of some of the new vaccine candidates have been evaluated and proven in human preclinical / clinical trials.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of preclinical in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.