Definition of predatory in English:
- Mammals and birds in particular developed new forms, whether as fast-running herbivores, large predatory mammals and birds, or small quick birds and rodents.
- But those predatory insects that locate prey through chemical sensing are not deterred.
- If predatory birds expect their prey to fall to the ground, Schmitz and Auliya's argument runs, they would be unlikely to notice a lizard still hanging from a branch.
- I mean, there have been cases of predatory females seeking out young, teenage boys to have their wicked way with…
- Belinda Hoare, of Home and Away, portrays the extraordinary lead character, Miss Julie a fallen, desperate, sexually predatory heiress seeking to be saved by love.
- The bill also significantly improves protection for society's most vulnerable groups against exploitation by predatory sexual offenders.
prison from Old English:
This comes via Old French from Latin prehendere ‘to seize’. Prehendere is a rich source of English words, being found, amongst many, in apprehend (late 16th century), comprehend (late 16th century); prehensile (late 18th century); and reprehensible (Late Middle English). A shortening of prehendere lies behind praedari ‘plunder’ and praeda ‘booty’, which lie behind depredation (Late Middle English); predatory [L16]; and prey (Middle English).
- Example sentences
- Like great wasps or huge cruel dragonflies, two helicopters hovered, ominously… predatorily… over the blocks ahead of us.
- ‘Too bad they're idiots,’ Maddie said, looking at them predatorily.
- He looked at me, smiling predatorily, running long fingers down my face.
- Example sentences
- But he is careful to be clear that there's no childhood abuse to blame for her sexual predatoriness.
- The fundamental political problem of economic development is therefore that of devising the appropriate means for channeling government action into support of markets, rather than predatoriness.
- And in the final analysis it was her playful innocence that rescued her from the hypnotizing predatoriness of Zanetti, who comes over here as a monstrous enchanter.
Words that rhyme with predatorysedentary • laudatory
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.