- Because the great predestinating purpose of God is to conform us to the likeness of His Son.
- Other verses emphasise the same truth - the God who chooses us predestinates us.
- Though it is never said that the non-elect are predestinated to damnation, Augustine was inclined to distinguish his view from Manichee dualism by stressing freedom in God, not freedom in man.
- But if we are among the elect, surely we shall rise from sin to fulfil God's predetermined purpose. ‘The whole Christ’ is predestinate.
- For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn.
- By stars and red checks, smiles and frowns, prizes, honors, and disgraces, I teach kids to surrender their will to the predestinated chain of command.
Late Middle English: from ecclesiastical Latin praedestinat- 'made firm beforehand', from the verb praedestinare, from prae 'in advance' + destinare 'establish'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of predestinate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.