Definition of prefecture in English:
1A district under the government of a prefect.
- These might look ordinary trees, but they are in fact a very special present from the governor of the Nara prefecture in Japan.
- In 1905 the islands were ‘incorporated’ into the Japanese Empire, when the Governor of Shimane prefecture stated that the islands were under the juristiction of the Shimane prefectural government.
- There are forty-three ordinary prefectures, three metropolitan prefectures with special administrative powers, and one administrative region for the northernmost island.
1.1A prefect’s office or tenure.
- To avoid the name calling that a woman would probably receive at a horse fair, he got permission from the prefecture of police to dress in men's clothing.
- The prefecture will stop using workshops for industrial production, and settlers in the General Building of the General Zhang Aiping will be relocated.
- Example sentences
- I can negotiate at provincial and prefectural level, and bring these levels into dialogue with one another.
- The idea seems to be catching on: the new prefectural subway system, Oedo-sen, began wrapping their cars with ads last September.
- In 1995, the State Council offered two pension scheme designs for the municipal and prefectural governments to choose from.
Definition of prefecture in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan