- Of, relating to, or denoting a society or culture that has not developed the use of writing.More example sentences
- It is instructive to look at preliterate societies, where literacy and standardization have been more recently introduced, to see how different languages begin to acquire prestige and others are devalued.
- Their individual and collective endeavors were thwarted by the machinations of powerful men, institutions, and a tradition-bound, preliterate society.
- He travelled to a remote, preliterate culture (the Fore, in New Guinea) to ensure that the subjects had not seen Western photographs or films, and so could never have learned Western emotions.
More definitions of preliterateDefinition of preliterate in:
- The British & World English dictionary