Definition of premier in English:
1First in importance, order, or position; leading: Germany’s premier rock band the premier national publication
More example sentences
- Ten years ago, our nation's two leading rock critics declared the premier band of the era to be nothing but indolent hacks.
- It was a rock star moment, epitomising the event, as truly a celebration of this country's premier rock band.
- The national league is the premier competition in Australia.
nounBack to top
1A prime minister or other head of government.
- The premier told the president that failure to co-operate with The Hague would have disastrous consequences for the country.
- Parliament will then appoint a premier, who in turn will appoint a cabinet.
- The Prime Minister will also discuss this with the Chinese premier during his forthcoming visit to the UK.
1.1(In Australia and Canada) the chief minister of a government of a state or province.
- This week, Canada's provincial premiers will be meeting in Victoria, B.C., and later this month they will meet with the prime minister.
- Among others present were Pandor and a number of the new premiers of the nine provinces.
- One has to realize that real power lies with a prime minister and a provincial premier.
Words that rhyme with premierEmyr
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.