Definition of preoperative in English:
Denoting, administered in, or occurring in the period before a surgical operation.
- A nurse practitioner performs the preoperative history and physical examination.
- A nasogastric tube was placed, and preoperative antibiotics were administered.
- Prevention of postoperative infection begins in the preoperative period.
- Example sentences
- As a result, all women who are considered at risk for possible pregnancy are instructed to have a pregnancy test performed preoperatively.
- All patients routinely receive a prophylactic dose of intravenous antibiotics preoperatively.
- The use of aspirin preoperatively is shunned by surgeons in noncardiac surgery.
Definition of preoperative in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.