Definition of president in English:
1The elected head of a republican state: the Irish president [as title]: President Kennedy
More example sentences
- It had a democratically elected president and a Congress just as we do.
- I never thought I'd be so well cared for by the president and the Republicans in Congress.
- Everyone who says vote Democrat at any price accepts that somehow Democratic presidents have a better record than Republican presidents.
1.1The head of a society, council, or other organization: the president of the European Community
More example sentences
- It's hard to be interested in winning when your organization - from the president down to the manager - isn't.
- Samuel Pepys was the son of a London tailor and a president of the Royal Society.
- And we'll also have gorillas, crows, dogs, and the new president of the Royal Society of London.
1.2North American The head of a college or university.
- A new president of Murray State University, F. King Alexander, took office this past winter.
- Only 2 percent of all women presidents head major research universities.
- The chief executive officer of a university is the president, who is usually appointed by the government.
1.3North American The head of a company.
2 Christian Church The celebrant at a Eucharist.
- The old typology understands the president at the Eucharist not in terms of a bare symbolism, but in terms of a symbolic realism.
- It was important, the president and the clergyman said, that they hear from a representative woman.
- The challenge cannot be remanded solely to rectors and presidents; it must effectively engage the entire community of believers.
- ( archaic)Example sentences
- After the shame of Gujarat, which has tarnished India's image as a secular, tolerant country, his presidentship is likely to send a positive message to the world.
- A meeting of all these committees was held in a marriage palace, 3 km from here, under the presidentship of Mr Ahir.
- The university's Urdu department organised many large seminars during his presidentship.
Pronunciation: /ˈprez(ə)dəntˌSHip/ /ˈprezədntˌSHip/ /ˈprezəˌdentˌSHip/noun
Words that rhyme with presidentresident
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.