Strengthened by the application of stress during manufacture, especially (of concrete) by means of rods or wires inserted under tension before the material is set.
More example sentences
- We are installing a lift in a church that has a prestressed, precast concrete elevated floor.
- It can be used to strengthen reinforced and prestressed beams, girders, and slabs to provide additional flexural strength.
- To minimise the possibility of polluting the river during the deck construction, prestressed and precast concrete beams and edge beams were used.
- More example sentences
- For this particular bridge the amount of prestressing was determined by limiting the axial tensile stress in the slab to approximately half the cracking strength of the concrete under 50 percent of the design live load.
- The prestressing specialist Freyssinet International contributes over $350 million, while the major projects division more than doubles that amount.
- Each tendon consists of one or more steel prestressing strands coated with a proprietary intumescent material.
Definition of prestressed in:
- The British & World English dictionary