Definition of presynaptic in English:
Relating to or denoting a nerve cell that releases a transmitter substance into a synapse during transmission of an impulse.
- Instead, transmission is accomplished by the release of a chemical neurotransmitter substance from the presynaptic fibre.
- The toxin irreversibly binds to presynaptic cholinergic receptors at motor nerve terminals and is subsequently internalized.
- The authors proposed a mechanism of action whereby the calcium channel blocker inhibited the presynaptic release of neurotransmitters.
- Example sentences
- Cocaine blocks the reuptake of catecholamines presynaptically.
- Glutamate is released presynaptically and binds to a postsynaptic receptor gating a cation-selective channel, thus depolarizing the post-synaptic cell.
- We find that the occurrence of glia postsynaptically is strikingly higher than presynaptically, in both types of synapses.
Definition of presynaptic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan