Definition of preternatural in English:
Beyond what is normal or natural: autumn had arrived with preternatural speed
More example sentences
- Harte's stories, in their matter-of-fact referencing of the preternatural and supernatural, and in their blending of the fantastic and the mundane may be seen as affiliates of Magic Realism.
- Abruptly, Beth and the other vampire joined the fray, fighting with teeth as well as preternatural speed and strength.
- The assistant moves with preternatural delicacy, and speed, and soon the ant is seated.
- Example sentences
- As they approach that limit they become preternaturally intelligent and violently paranoiac.
- Looking from the outside in, they view design as preternaturally flawed, subject to fluctuating markets and consequent shifts in personal taste, economic stability and technological change.
- But later, when they're over-rehearsed into being preternaturally wise and all-seeing, they start to cloy.
Pronunciation: /ˌpredərˈnaCH(ə)rəlē/ /ˌprēdərˈnaCH(ə)rəlē/adverb
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.