Designed to keep something undesirable such as illness, harm, or accidents from occurring: preventive medicine
More example sentences
- There are some important preventive measures that can be done to avoid a recurrent stroke.
- The effect of preventive measures on the incidence of ankle sprains.
- Wider community education is required as a primary preventive measure.
A medicine or other treatment designed to stop disease or ill health from occurring.
- But don't expect that to stop drug companies from hyping their cholesterol lowering products as preventives for breast cancer.
- Silicone greases are probably not effective preventives.
- Eating garlic and plenty of vitamin C are useful anti-viral preventives.
prophylactic, prophylactic device, prophylactic medicine, preventive drug
- Example sentences
- And the idea behind integrative medicine is to use these things preventively, to try and prevent illness.
- Patients could carry PKC inhibitors and take them preventively, as soon as they sense a manic episode coming on.
- These antiviral drugs fight the herpes virus that causes cold sores and can speed healing or be used preventively to thwart outbreaks.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.