Definition of primary structure in English:
1 Biochemistry The characteristic sequence of amino acids forming a protein or polypeptide chain, considered as the most basic element of its structure.
- The primary structure of peptides and proteins refers to the linear number and order of the amino acids present.
- A protein's primary structure refers to the sequence of amino acids in the molecule.
- Although various substitutions occur in primary structures of immunoglobulin light chains, no common amino acid has yet been identified which is unique to AL amyloidosis or other immunoglobulin-related diseases.
2 Aeronautics The parts of an aircraft whose failure would seriously compromise safety.
- All of the airplane's primary structure was found at the accident site.
- Fusion welded aluminum primary structures in airplanes are virtually nonexistent, because the high-strength alloys utilized have low weldability and low weld-joint efficiencies.
- The certification of the 737 Composite Horizontal Stabilizer was the first large commercial aircraft primary structure in the world certified for commercial aircraft.
Definition of primary structure in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.