The chief bishop or archbishop of a province: the primate of Poland
More example sentences
- He therefore persuaded the primate of Numidia to consecrate Augustine to be coadjutor bishop of Hippo.
- I became a priest, then a bishop, then a primate.
- Catholic primate Archbishop Sean Brady will officiate at this morning's Mass in St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh.
- Example sentences
- The development of the role of the Archbishop of Canterbury from Lambeth 1988 through the Virginia Report and now the Windsor Report offers an alternative: Anglicans may voluntarily accept a primatial ministry at the worldwide level.
- The independence of the Scottish bishops from the province of York was recognized by Pope Celestine III in 1192, though the primatial see was not raised to archiepiscopal status until 1472.
- This new Bulgarian Church embraced eight dioceses, Tirnovo being the primatial see, but the union with Rome was not of long duration.
A mammal of an order that includes the lemurs, bushbabies, tarsiers, marmosets, monkeys, apes, and humans. They are distinguished by having hands, handlike feet, and forward-facing eyes, and, with the exception of humans, are typically agile tree-dwellers.
- Order Primates: several families
- One of the world's most diverse primates, lemurs range in size from a mouse to a medium-size dog.
- An opposable thumb is generally seen as a defining characteristic of primates, but in spider monkeys it is greatly reduced or entirely absent.
- Until now, babbling had been observed only in humans and a few primates, such as pygmy marmosets.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.