Definition of primatology in English:
The branch of zoology that deals with primates.
- It was in this climate that in 1952 Kinji Imanishi, the father of Japanese primatology, wrote a book that criticized the view of animals as automatons driven by instinct.
- These are just a few examples of the rich additions that behavioral primatology can make to understanding the human condition.
- Many of the people in primatology are looking now more at the learning aspect of behavior and cultural traditions - more at the flexibility of behavior than a genetic program.
- Example sentences
- My primatological reverie is interrupted by a crowd of visitors.
- The International Primatological Society was created to encourage all areas of non-human primatological scientific research, to facilitate cooperation among scientists of all nationalities engaged in primate research, and to promote the conservation of all primate species.
- Russell Mittermeier, a primatologist who is the president of Conservation International, described the find as 'one of the most amazing primatological discoveries this century'.
- Example sentences
- When primatologist Jane Goodall first observed chimpanzees ‘fishing’ for ants and the larger, bulbous-headed red termites at Tanzania's Gombe Stream National Park, she was astounded.
- ‘When chimps reach age three or four, they start climbing and feeding on their own,’ said primatologist Anne Pusey, head of research for the Jane Goodall Institute, based in Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Mehlman, the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund primatologist, says the behavior also suggests that complex tool-use may not have originated in chimps and humans but may have evolved earlier in the primate family tree.
Definition of primatology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan