Definition of prime mover in English:
1A person or establishment that is chiefly responsible for the creation or execution of a plan or project.
- She was a prime mover in the creation of her sport's ruling body, the Women's Tennis Association, and the creation of a professional tour in 1970.
- It would build social trust, since young mothers brought together through children's centres are prime movers in local communities.
- ‘It exists to encourage freedom of expression and promote free thought,’ says Shravan Narula, a third year engineering student, who is the prime mover of the project.
1.1An initial natural or mechanical source of motive power.
- The vehicles and equipment included in this initial purchase include six prime movers, six fuel tanker trailers and four dolly converters.
- They were able also to install powerful prime movers (water wheels or steam-engines) to drive all their machines.
- Stowed within this hold are two bulldozers with scrapers attached, several flatbed trucks, a diesel-powered roller, a prime mover, two tractors and some truck trailers.
Definition of prime mover in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India