Definition of prime mover in English:
1A person or establishment that is chiefly responsible for the creation or execution of a plan or project.
- She was a prime mover in the creation of her sport's ruling body, the Women's Tennis Association, and the creation of a professional tour in 1970.
- It would build social trust, since young mothers brought together through children's centres are prime movers in local communities.
- ‘It exists to encourage freedom of expression and promote free thought,’ says Shravan Narula, a third year engineering student, who is the prime mover of the project.
1.1An initial natural or mechanical source of motive power.
- The vehicles and equipment included in this initial purchase include six prime movers, six fuel tanker trailers and four dolly converters.
- They were able also to install powerful prime movers (water wheels or steam-engines) to drive all their machines.
- Stowed within this hold are two bulldozers with scrapers attached, several flatbed trucks, a diesel-powered roller, a prime mover, two tractors and some truck trailers.
Definition of prime mover in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.