1 (primeurs) Fruit or vegetables grown to be available very early in the season.
- Primeurs (early fruit and vegetables) are rushed from here to shops and restaurants all over the country.
- he chief crops grown for early supplies, or "primeurs" as they are called, are special varieties of cos and cabbage lettuces, short carrots, radishes, turnips, cauliflowers, endives, spinach, onions, corn salad, and celery.
2 (also Primeur) Newly produced wines that have recently been made available.
- Wine shops sell Bordeaux wine primeurs the spring after the harvest.
- The original term was primeur, meaning young produce, and from 1951 the Beaujolais producers were allowed to release their primeurs from 15 December.
- The 2006 primeurs will be ready for delivery from end 2008 to early 2009.
French, literally 'newness'.
Definition of primeur in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.