Definition of princess in English:
1The daughter of a monarch.
- Her name is R'jas un Z'kovn Sy'yski and she is the Muse princess, daughter of Prince Noyus and next in line for the throne.
- Deputy President Jacob Zuma is engaged to a Swaziland princess, the daughter of Prince Phiwokwakhe Dlamini, his office announced on Saturday.
- The second row was occupied by the sultan's unmarried daughters, the princesses Nurmalitasari, Nurkamnari Dewi, Nurabra Juwita and Nurastuti Wijareni.
1.1A close female relative of monarch, especially a son’s daughter.
- They took Chinese princesses as wives and charged exorbitant prices in silk, grain and tea for their horses (a trade the Chinese tried to disguise as ‘tribute’).
- Sayaji Rao began constructing the Laxmi Vilas Palace in 1878 naming it after his first wife, a princess of Tanjore.
1.2The wife or widow of a prince.
- His second wife was an Armenian princess, married while Baldwin was at Edessa.
- Beside him is his wife, the Georgian princess Nino Chavchavadze.
- The Japanese princess was an aunt of Emperor Akihito and the widow of Prince Takamatsu, a younger brother of the late Emperor Hirohito.
1.3The female ruler of a small state, actually, nominally, or originally subject to a king or emperor.
- The government wants a successful trip by the crown prince and princess to pave the way for a visit by Emperor Akihito, the daily said.
- She could, however, humiliate the princess before her subjects.
- When a Swazi princess weds a Zulu king, she wears red touraco wing feathers around her forehead and a cape of windowbird feathers and oxtails.
Words that rhyme with princessacquiesce, address, assess, Bess, bless, bouillabaisse, caress, cess, chess, coalesce, compress, confess, convalesce, cress, deliquesce, digress, dress, duchesse, duress, effervesce, effloresce, evanesce, excess, express, fess, finesse, fluoresce, guess, Hesse, impress, incandesce, intumesce, jess, largesse, less, manageress, mess, ness, noblesse, obsess, oppress, outguess, phosphoresce, politesse, possess, press, priestess, process, profess, progress, prophetess, regress, retrogress, stress, success, suppress, tendresse, top-dress, transgress, tress, tristesse, underdress, vicomtesse, yes
Definition of princess in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan