Definition of privet in English:
A shrub of the olive family, with small white, heavily scented flowers and poisonous black berries.
- Genus Ligustrum, family Oleaceae: several species, in particular the semievergreen common privet (L. vulgare), often grown as a hedge
- Swirling robins and starlings competed for the red berries of the barberry and the blue berries of the privet.
- The planting included oak, ash, crab-apple, field maple, hawthorn, blackthorn, privet and dogwood and down by the ponds in River Field two areas of willows were planted.
- Plants such as privet or barberry need severe pruning immediately after planting and at the beginning of the second year to make them bushy.
mid 16th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of privet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan